Thursday, July 23, 2009

Something Interesting from Dr. Markides

"It increasingly became clear to me that the secular assumptions about reality, dominant during my university training, were in fact a grand illusion, a materialist superstition that had kept Western thought stranded and imprisoned for the last three hundred years. It was a destructive superstition that led sensitive Western intellectuals by the droves into existential despair, and in some cases even to suicide and madness. The realization of the phoniness of scientific materialism had a tremendously liberating effect on my mind."

-- Kyriacos Markides, Ph.D. in The Mountain of Silence

2 comments:

Fr. Steve said...

I've read all three of his books in this series. Very deep stuff there.

Bishop Nolden: said...

I think he provides a great introduction into Orthodox spirituality. It helps the non-Orthodox begin to develop an Orthodox mindset.